What is SOC As A Service (SOCaaS)?
SOC-as-a-Service, also known as Security Operations Centre as a Service, is a cloud-based security solution that gives enterprises access to security expertise, tools, and infrastructure to monitor, detect, and react to security threats in real-time.
In short, To better illustrate what SOC means, take a look at the below simple analogy table:
SOC-as-a-Service is a cost-effective way for organizations to outsource their security operations to a third-party provider, who manages the entire security operations centre (SOC) function, including threat intelligence, security monitoring, incident response, and vulnerability management.
Instead of hiring expensive cybersecurity experts, you can partner with a SOC service provider. This will save you a lot of time and money.
Functions of a Security Operations Center As a Service (SOCaaS)
SOC-as-a-service is a subscription- or software-based solution that helps businesses avoid the latest internet security threats. A SOC (Security Operations Center) is a facility where a security team monitors and protects an organization’s security posture. Using advanced software and analytical tools, the center’s security analysts and engineers supervise security operations.
SOC-as-a-Service can be customized to meet the unique security needs of an organization, and typically includes features such as network and endpoint monitoring, log analysis, threat intelligence feeds, and incident response services. The service provider also provides regular reports and alerts to keep the organization informed of the security posture and any potential threats.
6 THINGS TO ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND WHEN CHOOSING THE BEST SOC SERVICE PROVIDER
- The services should be customizable to the needs or requirements of the company.
- Each company has specific needs when it comes to security. The top SOC provider keeps the following in mind:
- The best SOC service providers understand how long your data must be kept.
- The best SOC service providers consider your primary business goals.
- The best SOC service investigates the source of your organization’s incident reports.
- The best SOC service supplier considers your operational environment or workplace.
- SOC in service should result in consistent growth.
- The best SOC service providers must be flexible enough to meet their clients’ growing needs.
- The best SOC service providers can change with the changing threat environment.
- The best SOC service providers partner with you to understand threats and solutions.
- SOC in service adheres to security standards.
- The best SOC service providers is compliant with standards like PCI DSS and HIPAA among others.
- Constant network and cloud monitoring
- The best SOC supplier offers network monitoring and vulnerability scanning 24/7.
- containment of the threat
- The top SOC providers can detect and contain risks as soon as they occur. This could be done manually or automatically.
- Foundation that can grow
- The best SOC providers are constantly one step ahead of cybercriminals.
Why You Need SOC in Service?
Cybersecurity incidents are becoming more common. Organizations are progressively moving their IT assets to the cloud and implementing hybrid and remote work environments, which exposes their critical networks and systems to risk. Unfortunately, bad actors are utilising this vulnerability to their advantage.
These are some of the most severe cybersecurity issues that companies need tackle today:
- The number of cyberattacks are increasing day by day.
- Organizations are more complex, and that means cyberattacks are too
- Security is significantly behind the development of new apps.
- There is a shortage of cybersecurity experts
- Building your own SOC is expensive.
What exactly does SOC Service (SOCaaS) monitor?
Same like on-premises SOC, SOCaaS includes 24/7 monitoring,
A SOC service keeps an eye on all network activity and traffic across all systems and applications to look for suspicious activity coming from within or outside the organization. SOC service providers collect all event logs and user activity from devices, applications, and other cloud or network infrastructure across all environments used by a client.
The SOC as a Service analysts will then analyze any anomalies using technology, tools, and intelligence platforms. Before any disturbances that could result in operations failing or reputational damage, any dangers that are discovered during the day or night are taken care of immediately.
Top Benefits of SOC Service provider:
SOC-as-a-Service (Security Operations Center as a Service) offers several benefits to organizations looking to enhance their security posture, including:
- Increase the Effectiveness of Incident Management.
- Faster detection and remediation.
- Reduces Initial SOC Expenses.
- Reduces SOC complexity.
- Increases speed of deployment.
- 24/7 Monitoring.
- Access to Specialized Security Expertise.
- Improves threat detection and response.
- Increases speed of deployment.
- Increased uptime due to rapid security response.
- Constant monitoring of vulnerable networks and data.
- Up-to-Date Security.
- Compliance: SOC-as-a-Service providers often offer compliance reporting, which can help organizations meet regulatory requirements and industry standards.
Types of Organizations that could benefit from SOC
Any company that has an on-premises SOC or is thinking about establishing one may be able to outsource the capacity for increased security at a lower cost. It could be a good decision depending on your company’s maturity level and present security posture.
Specifically it is suitable for the organizations that want to have an in-depth understanding of what is happening within their network, both on premise and in the cloud, to be able to respond immediately to possible threats.
When it makes sense to use SOCaaS?
In terms of improved security, quicker action, and lower costs, SOCaaS provides many significant advantages to organizations. A subscription model may be the ideal choice for your company if you:
- Have a limited IT and InfoSec staff, particularly in terms of their capacity to provide 24/7 coverage or highly specialized cybersecurity abilities
- Have a poor level of cybersecurity awareness and would like to provide a metaphoric shortcut by utilizing backbone services from a third party
- There is no dedicated or secure physical area in which to run a SOC
- There have been no major technological investments made to provide the underlying capabilities of an on-premises SOC.
How to choose a SOC Service provider?
- It is crucial for organizations to choose a provider who goes above and beyond the typical SOC as a Service arrangement. The SOC team should function as an extension of the internal IT and security team.
- However, not all SOC Service offerings are created equally. Finding the right partner is essential for effective threat detection and response and complete protection from cyberattacks. If you wish to discuss this with some of the most security professionals then contact us. Discover how Cybervie can help you.
Security Operations Centre as a service is a low-cost alternative that ensures higher quality. With a managed SOC, you can take advantage of a dedicated team of security analysts and outside professionals to help you identify and respond to complicated cyberattacks.
Over time, there has been an increase in the demand for cybersecurity specialists. Data breaches happen as a result of improper security, awareness, and implementation. Addressing your organization’s security infrastructure is important and necessary. Cybervie is one of the best SOC providers out there.
How Cybervie can help?
At Cybervie, Our team of highly skilled cybersecurity specialists partners with your business to develop a security plan that meets your unique requirements. Our SOC managed services are a component of our comprehensive MDR solution, which gives you the resources, staff, knowledge, and experience you need to identify, assess, and respond to risks before they adversely effect your company. So contact us for more.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
a) What is SOC as a service?
SOC (Security Operation Centre) is a cloud-based set of services like data protection, continuous monitoring, and threat detection services on a subscription model.
b) Who are the top SOC as a service providers?
Top SOC providers include Cybervie, Symantec, Rapid7, and AlertLogic among others.
c) Is SOCaaS the same as a Managed SIEM?
No, Security information and event management (SIEM) is an essential part of a SOC offering, but it does not have all of the same powers as a SOC. Specifically, the SIEM is a tool that uses log data captured by other software to determine that an event happened rather than actively monitoring events as they occur across the business in real time.
d) Is SOCaaS the same as MDR?
Between managed detection and response and SOCaaS, there is some overlap in terms of skills (MDR). Both are cybersecurity services that conduct threat spotting, monitoring, and response using a combination of technology and human expertise. However, by definition, SOCaaS is a contracted service, so that’s not always the case with MDR. SOCaaS also gives a broader range of services and stronger, more comprehensive protection than an MDR tool.